Program & Course Outcomes
Upon completion of the A.F.A. degree with either a Music or Jazz concentration, program participants will be able to exhibit the accomplishment of the following:
- Perform with fourth semester collegiate ability on a principal instrument or voice, demonstrating readiness for a transfer audition at the end of the fourth semester.
- Exhibit ensemble skills of score reading, counting, listening, following a director, and collaborating with other players.
- Exhibit analytical melodic and harmonic skills including 13th chords, foreign modulations, 12-tone series (Music only) and basic forms (Music and Jazz concentrations).
- Exhibit computer capability in skill-building, notation, and other music software programs. Be able to conduct discerning Internet searches and research on music topics.
- Mastery of basic piano skills required for proficiency exams after transfer.
- All students will show mastery of rhythms and meters.
- Have a cohesive overview and understanding of the history of Western classical music from the Middle Ages through the contemporary period or the same for the History of Jazz plus Western classical music after 1750 for Jazz concentration.
- Mastery of basic skills in music composition.
Credit Hour Policy for Applied Lessons & Ensembles
For each credit hour of applied music, students are expected to practice outside of class at least 3 hours to meet the minimum standard for applied juries.
Ensembles are considered by the College in the same category as field/clinical courses in Policy 3.2.1. They bear 1 credit for 120-180 minutes per week of rehearsal time.
The following are representative syllabi with detailed course outcomes for all music courses in the CCRI Department of Performing Arts. Click on the link of the desired course to view the document and outcomes.
|CCRI Performing Arts-Music Courses|
|Foundations of Music|
|Music Theory 123 4|
|Sight Singing & Ear Training 1 2 3 4|
|HISTORY & APPRECIATION|
|Introduction to Music|
|History of Rock|
|Music before 1750|
|Music after 1750|
|APPLIED STUDY & INSTRUMENTAL CLASSES|
|Secondary Applied Study|
|Major Applied Study|
|Class Piano 1 2|
|Strings 1 2|
|Chamber Ensemble (Band)|
|Jazz Improvisation 1 2|
|Jazz Harmony 1 2|
|Music Therapy and Geriatrics|
|Introduction to Digital Audio Editing
|Music in Human Services & Education|
|The American Musical|
Aiden Rogler completed his studies at CCRI in 2020 and is currently enrolled at URI...
Danielle Grilli graduated from CCRI in 2013 with an A.F.A in Music. She continued her studies at RIC obtaining a B.A in Music...
Daniel Caramante graduated from CCRI in 2017 with an A.F.A. with High Honors. He continued on to URI, graduating cum laude with...