Accuplacer Appointment & Guide
Need to test? Send an email to [email protected] - Please include the following:
- Full Name,
- CCRI ID#,
- Date of Birth,
- Cell Phone# (or best contact number)
Students accepted into a degree or certificate program at the Community College of Rhode Island are required to complete the mandatory ACCUPLACER assessment in order to be placed in the best possible classes. Although there is no grade on the ACCUPLACER, and it does not affect your acceptance, your score determines which math and English classes you need to take so doing well can save you time and money.
There are many great study resources to prepare you for the ACCUPLACER assessment test.
- ACCUPLACER FREE Web-Based STUDY App
- ACCUPLACER FREE STUDY App for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad available through Apple's iTunes Store.
- Next Generation ACCUPLACER Review Packet
- College Board: https://accuplacer.collegeboard.org/student/practice
- Online practice tests: https://www.testprepreview.com/next-generation-accuplacer.htm
- Many students find GED or SAT study guides are also helpful.
Things to know about the ACCUPLACER
- Doing well can save you time and money, so make sure to prepare.
- There are practice tests and other study aids available.
- Your High School/GED transcript as well as SAT/ACT scores can help with placement. Upload your transcripts/scores here
- The test takes 2 to 3 hours to complete.
- Eat a good meal before taking the test so you aren't distracted by hunger.
- You will be provided scratch paper, but will not be allowed to bring anything into the testing area.
- If you do not do well, you have the option to do a retake.
If you require accommodations due to a documented disability, please contact Disability Services before your test if you have any questions.
If you took the ACCUPLACER at another facility or have college-level English and Math credits, you might qualify for a waiver. You must contact Advising and Counseling if you think you don't need to take the ACCUPLACER.
More information about the ACCUPLACER
The ACCUPLACER is a computer-based test consisting of four parts. Minimal computer skills are needed to complete the test. All information is entered by using the mouse and/or the keyboard. A test administrator will be present throughout the testing session to answer any questions you have. Proctors may not, however, answer any academic-related questions associated with the test.
ACCUPLACER is an adaptive test. This means the computer determines which questions you get based on your response to previous questions. The greater your skill, the more challenging the questions become. This technique selects just the right questions for your level. This portion of the test is untimed so that you can give each question as much thought as you wish. However, once you have selected and confirmed your answer, you cannot return to that question.