Interlibrary Loan Policies & Requests
INTERLIBRARY LOAN POLICY
- Nature of Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service: Interlibrary loans supplement resources in the CCRI Library. This operation is
governed by local, national, and international codes as well as by consortium agreements.
Its smooth operation is dependent on the cooperation and goodwill of the lending libraries,
and the observance of these codes and agreements.
- Eligible borrowers: ILL service is limited primarily to current CCRI faculty, staff, and students in
good standing who are working on CCRI-related research projects, and secondarily to
emeritus faculty. Service to emeritus faculty will be provided as time and resources
permit and after the needs of the current faculty, staff, and students are met.
- Limitations on loans: Loans will be made from libraries in the United States and do not ordinarily include
the following types of materials: recently published books, journals (however, photocopies
of individual articles are available), reference materials, genealogical materials,
bulky or fragile materials, doctoral dissertations when readily available from UMI,
materials on reserve, or nonprint materials.
- Charges: Charges imposed by the lending library are the responsibility of the person requesting
the loan. Whenever possible, ILL transactions will be free of charge. Charges will
not be incurred without the prior approval of the requester. Payment will be made
at the time of receipt of the item.
- Lost and unreturned items: The charge for lost or unreturned items will be determined by the lending library.
The person borrowing the item will be responsible for any charges, including processing
fees, for any items he/she lost or did not return.
- Renewals: Renewals of items loaned to CCRI patrons will be at the discretion of the lending
library. Renewals of items borrowed from CCRI will be made at the discretion of the
ILL librarian and when made will be for a period of 14 days.
- Photocopy requests: Photocopy requests will be made in accordance with Title 17 of the United States
- Restrictions on use: The CCRI Library is bound by any restrictions placed on loans by the lending library.
These may include restricting use of material to within the Library, obtaining a signature
of the borrower, and/or prohibiting photocopying.
- Administration of ILL service: The Reference Departments from each campus will together be responsible for the
ILL policies and procedures subject to the approval of the Dean of Learning Resources.
The Coordinators of Reference/Collection Development will designate a Reference librarian
to supervise ILL activities at their respective campuses. Backups will also be designated
at each campus.
- Type of requests: All requests must be made through the ILL system. Telephone requests are accepted
in emergency cases only and must be followed up by an American Library Association
or similar ILL form. Fax machines may be used to request items.
- Delivery: Photocopies of materials from books and periodicals will be sent by the OCLC Article
Exchange, whenever possible. Otherwise, the primary delivery method in Rhode Island
will be the courier contracted by the Office of Library and Information Services (OLIS).
U.S. mail will be used for out-of-state deliveries and any library not covered by
the OLIS delivery system. Fax machines will not be used to deliver copies.
INTERLIBRARY LOAN REQUESTS
Materials that are not available at the HELIN or Ocean State libraries may be ordered
through Interlibrary Loan (ILL).
You must allow 2-3 weeks for delivery of returnable ILLs (i.e., books).
You must allow 3-5 days for delivery of non-returnable ILLs (i.e., articles).
If you need assistance, please see a Reference Librarian.
Requesting a Book
- Please search the HELIN Library Catalog before requesting a book via ILL. If a HELIN library owns the book, you may be able
to receive it within 2-5 business days by requesting the book via a HELIN loan.
- If the book is not available from HELIN, request it using the ILL Book Request form.
- You may also want to search WorldCat to verify your information. An incomplete or inaccurate citation will reduce your
chances of getting the book that you want.
Requesting an Article
- Please search our WorldCat A to Z List and/or Citation Finder before requesting an article via ILL. If the article is available online in a CCRI
database, you should be able to retrieve it immediately.
- If the article is not available online, request it using the ILL Periodical Article Request form. An incomplete or inaccurate citation will reduce your chances of getting the article.
Interlibrary Loan Status
You can check the status of your ILL requests by viewing your library record in the HELIN Library Catalog.