Skip Main Navigation

Community College of Rhode Island

Scholarships available!

Get Adobe Reader

*PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view - Download here

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What software is common to all Academic Computer Labs?
  • Can I run a program from a CD on a lab computer?
    • Yes, unless it needs to install a segment with Administrative privileges.
  • Can I install software on the workstations?
    • Installing software on the workstations is prohibited
  • I'm having trouble printing in a computer lab - What should I do?
    • If you run into a problem printing a document in the Academic computer lab, first check the instructions that are posted. Specific instructions are posted for the lab you're in; make sure you're following them correctly.

      If your problem persists (particularly paper jams and "toner low" messages), Please see the Lab Staff to report the problem.
  • How do I save a file if my thumb drive is full?
    • Send a copy your files to your Email account and save it to your OneDrive.
  • The Apple computer I'm using froze. What do I do?
    • Hold down OPTION-cmd key-P-R and press the lighted restart button on either the keyboard or the CPU tower. If this doesn't work on a CPU tower, press the small reset button below and to the left of the restart button. If the problem persists, report the problem to the Lab Staff.
  • Why did the files I saved to the Desktop disappear when I left the lab computer?
    • When the computer is rebooted, all files left on the Desktop are automat deleted. If the files have been deleted, you cannot recover them. Remember to save your work early and often to a thumb drive or to send them to your Email account to avoid losing your work.
  • When are computers available?
    • Computers are available on a first-come, first-served basis during all open hours.
  • Can I copy programs on the workstations and take them home to use on my own computer?
    • No. Under no circumstances will software piracy be condoned.
  • What kind of media does each machine use?
    • Most PCs have CD/DVD drives for the storage of data. We highly recommend that each student use a USB flash drive for personal data storage.
  • Can I listen to music in the lab?
    • Yes. All PCs have internal CD-ROM drives capable of playing audio compact discs. One is permitted to bring music CDs and personal headphones to listen to music provided that it does not disturb or interfere with others or the equipment. Note that no speakers are attached to general use systems in the lab due to the risk of loud interference to others.
  • How do I use CDR and CDRW in Academic Computer Labs?
    • CDRW (DATA)
      • Format:
        • Right click on the "CD Drive" icon in "My Computer". Choose "Erase this CDRW".
        • Now the CDRW is ready to have files written to it.
        • Note: Formatting the CDRW will remove ALL existing files. They are not recoverable.
        • If you do not have formatted CDRW, you will have to format the CDRW. Do NOT format or erase CDR Disks.
      • Write:
        • You can treat the CDRW Drive as any other removable media (like a Thumb drive). You can copy or create files, but you will be unable to edit or delete existing files (you can format the entire CDRW). The only additional step is to tell the OS to write the files.

          Note: If you plan to save to a folder on the CDRW the folder MUST already exist on the CDRW.
        • Once you have copied the files to the CDRW, Windows will queue the files to be written.
        • When you are ready to write, right click on the "CD Drive" icon in "My Computer". Choose "Write these files to CD".
        • The CD Writing Wizard dialog will appear and guide you through the process.
        • Once complete, Windows will eject the CD
        • If you decide that you do not want to write the files to the CDRW, you can remove the queued list. Right Click on the "CD Drive" icon in "My Computer". Choose "Delete Temporary Files".

          Note: As you copy files to the CDRW for writing, pay attention to the amount of disk space left. The space left on the disk will not reflect the additional space needed by the queued files. Windows WILL let you queue up more files than there is space left on the CDRW. However, when you attempt to write files to CD the Wizard will give you an error.
    • CDR (DATA)

      Note: CDR is write ONCE. If you write a file to it, you will not be able to delete it. You can NOT format a CDR.
      • Write:
        • You can treat the CDR Drive as any other removable media (like a Floppy Disk). You can copy or create files, but you will be unable to edit or delete existing files. The only additional step is to tell the OS to write the files.

          Note: If you plan to save to a folder on the CDR the folder MUST already exist on the CDR.
        • Follow the same 5 steps above to write your files to the CDR
          If you require additional information use Windows built in help function (Start Menu --> Help and Support) and search on CD Writing.

      • Right Click on the mp3 or wav file(s) you wish to convert to Audio CD format. Choose "Copy to Audio CD"
      • Windows Media Player will display the play list of songs you have selected. You can modify the play list from here.
      • Once you are ready to create the Audio CD, insert a BLANK CDR/CDRW into the CDRW drive, then click on "Copy Music" in the top right corner.
      • Media player will convert the files as necessary then attempt to write them to the CDR/CDRW
      • Once compete, Windows will eject the CD.

  • Should I backup my files?
  • Where are the computer labs on campus?
  • What are the hours of the CCRI computer labs?
  • Can I install software on the lab computers?
    • No. Due to security issues and software conflicts, licensing agreements, and limited memory space, students may not install software on the lab computers. See Computer Lab Policies for more information.
  • What is the computer use policy at CCRI?
  • Can you help me with a homework problem?
    • Lab Staff cannot assist with homework problems. They can assist with interpreting system messages and addressing difficulty in getting software to operate properly. Students must contact their instructors about difficulties with their course work.
  • Can you fix my laptop/home computer?
  • Can I burn CD's in the Academic lab?
    • Yes, but any copyrighted material cannot be burned.
  • Can I buy media at the Academic lab?
    • No. We are unable to sell media. However, you may purchase media from the Bookstore.
  • Is there editing software on the scanner?
    • No, because the scanner is setup primarily for scanning purposes only. However, you may save your pictures on a floppy disk or thumb drive or burn them on a CD-R or CD-RW, then take them to any of the workstations in the Academic Computer Lab where Photoshop is available for editing images.
  • Can I send scanned images to an email account?
    • Yes.
  • How long will my print job stay in the print queue?
    • Once you have clicked the Okay button in the print dialog box, your print job will move to the print queue and stay there for a period of 72 hours or until you release the print job (whichever comes first). All print jobs are deleted from the print queue after 72hours.
  • Can I print transparencies on the lab printers?
    • NO. Transparencies have damaged the printers in the past.
  • Is wireless access available in the Academic Labs?
    • Yes.
  • Can I use the open lab to do my personal business?
    • No. Running your personal business is NOT permitted in Academic labs.
  • How should I report problems with computers in the lab?
    • Please inform a Lab Staff at your campus of any problems with the computers, printers, and scanners in the open computer lab. Do NOT attempt to fix the problem yourself. Faculty may call the Help Desk to report a computer problem.
  • Can I save files to the hard drive in the open lab?
    • Yes. However, if you do they will be deleted the next time the computer is restarted.
  • Where can I get more information on the computer labs, hours, and what is available?
  • Do you accommodate students with disabilities?
    • Yes, we have Mac and PC disability stations available with hardware and software adapted for students with disabilities.
  • I lost something in the lab. Is there a lost-and-found?
    • Lost and found articles are kept in the Lab Staff area unless they are items such as car keys, wallets, or cell phones. If you have lost something, please check there. If you do not find your lost item, please contact Campus Security to see if anyone has turned the item over to them.
  • Can I bring food and drinks into the lab, if the drink has a spill-proof lid?
    • Sorry, food and drinks are not allowed in the lab.
  • Can I play music or use sound for presentations in the lab?
    • Yes, as long as headsets are used and it does not distract anyone else in the lab.
  • What do I do if the printer runs out of paper?
    • Please notify a Lab Staff on duty.
  • Where should I save my work?
    • We strongly encourage you to save your work on a removable storage device. We will not be responsible for any damage or loss of your data.

This page developed and maintained by the Information Technology Department. Send comments and suggestions to .

Last Updated: 3/19/15