New Media Communication Certificate
- Media Production Concentration (NMPR)
- Media Post-Production Concentration (NMPP)
- Media Studies Concentration (NMST)
- Media Communication Concentration (NMCM)
The New Media Communication certificate offers practical training in the foundational
skills of video, audio and media production; critical studies; writing and rhetoric.
Whether creating content for traditional or new media platforms, students will gain
an understanding of how to craft and communicate a message from pre-production through
Through their participation, students will be prepared to enter various communication
and media disciplines as videographers, producers, directors, writers and editors
in the following industries: television, radio, new media journalism, the Web and
social media management. Students also will develop a solid foundation that prepares
them to enter four-year degree programs where they can further refine and develop
their talents and skills.
Note: Many courses require prerequisites, co-requisites and/or testing.
Each four-track concentration allows students to focus their studies, preparing them
for communication/media careers as well as for baccalaureate degree programs.
Certificate Track Options from CCRI Catalog
Certificate Learning Outcomes:
At the completion of this certificate, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate video and audio pre-production, production, and post-production skills.
- Discuss the history and forms of mass media, its use and impact on society, corporations,
- Create visual stories utilizing image composition, sequencing, titling, and effects.
Media Production Concentration:
- Operate studio cameras, switchers, and field equipment.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform each production crew position.
- Write and defend a production proposal.
- Demonstrate nonlinear video editing.
Media Post-Production Concentration:
- Demonstrate nonlinear video and audio editing.
- Produce motion graphics for a video production.
- Show ability to troubleshoot and correct visual and audio deficiencies.
- Cut and enhance a sequence that supports a story.
Media Studies Concentration:
- Summarize the major stages of media development.
- Delineate the social, cultural, and historical contexts of media in society.
- Compare and contrast events in film history genres.
- Write critical analysis of films.
Media Communications Concentration:
- Develop story ideas.
- Compose a story for particular media platform.
- Demonstrate writing and speaking competencies by producing written content for media
and through presentations.
- Produce and distribute content for social media.
Suggested Additional Studies:
- COMI 1770: Web Development (All Concentrations), 3 credits
- LIBA 1010: Cooperative Work Experience (All Concentrations), 4 credits
- MUSIC 1112: Intro. to Digital Audio Editing (Media Post-Production), 3 credits
- ITAL 1900: The Italian Heritage (Media Studies), 3 credits
- BUSN 1020: Marketing Communication (Media Communication), 3 credits
Note: Students in our program have access to state-of-the-art equipment, including:
- 4K Professional Camcorders
- Tripod Camera Supports
- Shotgun and Lavalier Microphones
- Wireless Microphones
- LED and Tungsten Lighting Kits
- Cables and Extensions
- HD 3-Camera TV Studio and Control Room
- Set Furniture
- Lighting Control
- Green Screen
- Multiple Backgrounds
- Non-Linear Editing stations (Avid Media Composer and Adobe Premiere)
- Video Hard Drives