Transferring to CCRI

Foreign transcript evaluation

The Community College of Rhode Island does not automatically give credit for courses taken elsewhere. Students entering CCRI who have satisfactorily completed collegiate level courses at other regionally accredited institutions may have their courses evaluated by the Records Department once their academic goals have been established; preparatory classes are not transferable. Additionally, quarter hour credits earned are converted to semester hour credits by a ¾ ratio.

Grades of "C-" or better in courses required by the CCRI program of study are required for transfer, however, some programs may have more stringent policies. Except for literature, speech, writing and select art courses, credits completed beyond ten (10) years do not transfer, unless the student seeks approval of the chairperson responsible for the intended major.

If transferred coursework meets the benchmark (minimum grade requirement) for PBHS admissions, additional transfer coursework for the same requirement cannot be granted. However, if a student chooses to repeat the required course it can only be completed at CCRI. Students should first meet with an admissions officer or academic advisor for guidance/academic plan. Additionally, applicants to the Nursing Program must have completed BIOL 1020 Human Physiology within five (5) years of entering NURS 1010 Nursing I.

The Records Department does not evaluate any health, rehabilitative health or technical courses taken at other institutions. Any student that has this type of coursework should contact the appropriate chairperson to explore if transfer credit or challenge exams are appropriate.

Individuals with military training or substantial life experience in a specific field may explore Prior Learning Assessment (PLA). Additionally, students that have completed the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) or Advance Placement (AP) exams are encouraged to send their official scores to the Office of Advising & Counseling, Knight Campus – Warwick.

Transfer students are required to take the ACCUPLACER placement exams. Failure to take appropriate exams may cause problems when trying to register for courses that require placement test scores as prerequisites. The Office of Enrollment Services does not override testing requirements.

  • Math placement exam - students are required to test in math to demonstrate their current competency level. A student would need to score into the actual course (s) needed for their degree program, unless they transferred in the exact course needed to fulfill their degree requirements. However, the test score still might be required to take other courses as some subjects have specific math testing prerequisites.
  • Reading placement exam - is a required test of all students; this is also a pre-admissions requirement for most health and rehabilitative science applicants. Additionally, some courses have reading score prerequisites.
  • Writing placement exam - students can be exempt from taking this exam if they transfer a course that is equivalent toENGL 1005 College Writing or ENGL 1010 Composition I.

The total amount of credits transferred, including, PLA awards, may not exceed 75%of the credits required for a degree or certificate program. For more information regarding transfer policies please review the College Catalog. The transfer credit review process takes several weeks to complete and may take longer during peak periods. Therefore, students are encouraged to send official transcripts from all prior institutions immediately after applying to the College. Transcripts should be sent directly to the Records Department at the Flanagan Campus in Lincoln, regardless of what campus a student may be attending. Students will be notified by mail once transcripts have been evaluated.

The Records Department maintains a Transfer Evaluation System (TES) to show how courses have historically transferred to CCRI. Potential students are encouraged to review the information listed in the database. Courses not found in this list may still be transferable. However, those courses will be assessed upon submission of an official transcript and acceptance into a degree or certificate program at CCRI.

Please note: Foreign transcripts must be evaluated by an outside agency prior to submission to the Community College of Rhode Island. A course-by-course evaluation with grade and credit hour equivalency is required for transfer credit assessment. However, CCRI does not transfer English or health science courses taken in foreign countries, plus, limited math, science, and technology courses are transferable. The following are the established agencies that translate foreign credentials to English:

Agency Contact Information
Center for Educational Documentation
Box 170116
Boston, MA 02117
Tel: 617-338-7171

Educational Credential Evaluators
PO Box 514070
Milwaukee, WI 53203-3470

Education Evaluators International, Inc.
125-28 Queens Blvd, #701
Kew Gardens, NY 11415
Tel: 401-521-5340

Globe Language Services, Inc.
305 Broadway, Suite 401
New York, NY 10007
Tel: 212-227-1994

World Education Services, Inc.
Bowling Green Station
PO Box 5087
New York, NY 10274-5087
Tel: 212-966-6311

SpanTran Evaluation Services
450 Seventh Ave., Suite 400
New York, NY 10123
Tel: 646-475-2570

Contact Information

Staff Listing


Knight Campus
Ground Floor, Room 0050
Tel: 401 825-2003

Flanagan Campus
1st Floor, South Entrance
Tel: 401 825-2003

Liston Campus
Room 1150
Tel: 401 825-2003

Newport County Campus
Room 150
Tel: 401 825-2003

Mail official transcripts to:

CCRI Flanagan Campus
Records Department
1762 Louisquisset Pike
Lincoln, RI 02865

Send official E-transcripts to:



This page developed and maintained by Records. Send comments and suggestions to .

Last Updated: 2/22/19