Gran Fritto Di Pesce
Mixed Fry of Fish
- 1 pound fresh calamari, cleaned and drained
- 2 lemons, cut into 1/8-inch thick slices, plus 2, cut into wedges
- 1/2 pound sea scallops, cut in half across the diameter
- 1/4 pound whitebait, or other small fish to eat whole
- 1/2 pound rock shrimp
- 12 oysters, shucked and chilled
- 4 tiny sole, peeled and gutted
- 4 small blowfish tails, peeled
- 2 cups cornstarch
- 2 cups superfine (quick mixing) flour
- 2 quarts extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the oil in a deep pan with a basket until just smoking. In a wide, shallow bowl, mix half the calamari, half the lemon slices, half the scallops, half the whitebait, half the rock shrimp, 6 oysters, 2 sole and 2 blow fish tails. Mix the cornstarch and the flour in a separate bowl and sprinkle over the fish and toss quickly with hands to coat. Toss into a large strainer with a handle and bat against hands to remove excess cornstarch mixture.
Drop the coated seafood and lemons into the oil and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes). Remove to a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Immediately repeat with the remaining lemons, and seafood and repeat the cornstarch trick. Season hot fried foods with salt and pepper and serve immediately with fresh lemon wedges.
Yield: 4 servings
Recipe copyright 2000, Mario Batali. All rights reserved.
This page developed and maintained by Italian Club. Send comments and suggestions to .