Related LinksIndependent Study Form*
An Independent Study is an option in most academic disciplines in the College. Independent Study may be taken for 1 - 4 credits. The course content and credit value are determined by agreement between the sponsoring faculty member and student.
Independent Study request must meet the following criteria:
1. Student/ faculty complete the Independent Study request form in its entirety.
2. Student must be enrolled in a degree program and have completed a minimum of 30 credits OR be enrolled in a certificate program and have completed a minimum of 12 credits.
3. The student must have earned a minimum GPA of 2.0.
4. The RATIONALE must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Course is a graduation requirement and not being offered in the current semester
- Course is needed as a prerequisite to a required course
- Course has not been taught at CCRI in the past two semesters
- Course is not projected to be offered in any semester prior or graduation
- Individual situations will be considered by the VPAA
The Independent Study Form must be completed and signed by the sponsoring faculty member, department chairperson and student and submitted to the appropriate Academic Dean's office for approval. Also, all Independent Study requests need the approval (and signature) of the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
Upon approval from the Office of Enrollment Services, the Dean's office will send approved copies to the sponsoring faculty member, department chairperson and student.
An Independent Study will not be accepted after the last date of the ADD/DROP period in the fall and spring semesters.
If the request is submitted after the after mid-term grades, the department chair will have to provide justification to support their request.
Deadlines for Submission
Sept. 8, 2015
|Spring 20156||Feb. 7, 2016|
This page developed and maintained by Office of the Dean - Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences. Send comments and suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org .