Dental Hygiene Program
The Dental Hygiene program seeks to prepare students as dental hygienists who can competently and safely perform dental hygiene procedures, display the personal qualities of integrity, responsibility and reliability, function as active members of the dental care team and are committed to professional development through life-long learning.
- Goal #1: Prepare graduates to assume responsibility for ethical dental hygiene care in accordance with professional codes of ethics and state law.
- Goal #2 : Prepare competent, caring hygienists to provide comprehensive dental hygiene services to the local community.
- Goal #3 : Prepare graduates to make evidence based decisions by acquiring, analyzing and documenting information utilizing current scientific research.
- Goal #4 : Develop dental hygienists who are able to assess the quality of patient services they provide.
- Goal #5 : Promote oral health within the community
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of “approval without reporting requirements”. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
Faculty & Staff
Julie Galleshaw, Professor
Cynthia Johnson, Assistant Professor
Dr. Janice Schmitz, Program Director
Audra Lavoie, Assistant Professor
Lisa Proffitt, Assistant Professor
Aubrie Viera, Assistant Professor
|Flanagan||(Near 2374)||401-333-7438||[email protected]|
Dental Clinic-Lab Coordinator
|Susan D. Hook,
Information Service Tech II
|Flanagan||Hygiene Clinic||401-333-7470||[email protected]|
From the Catalog
- Program of Study, Admission Requirements and Program Requirements
- Health Sciences General Policies
- Course Descriptions see Available Courses for online versions
- Student Handbook
- Dental Hygiene Clinic Information
- Technical Standards
- Admission Guidelines
- Performance Based Health Science Application (next application period is Feb. 1-28, 2021)
- Mission of the College
Areas of Study
Dental Assistant Program
CCRI's Dental Assisting Program prepares students to become DANB Certified Dental Assistants. Dental assisting is among the top 25 fastest-growing occupations in the United States. As a dental assistant, you will not only enjoy increased opportunities in a growing field, you will also enhance the efficiency of a dental care team. (More from DANB)Learn More
Dental Hygienist Program
If you like helping people, enjoy working with your hands as well as your mind, and are interested in helping to prevent disease while assisting patients to maintain their health, a career as a dental hygienist may be for you. Dental hygienists are important members of the dental health care team who work with dentists in the delivery of dental care to patients. Hygienists use their knowledge and clinical skills to provide dental hygiene care for patients. They use their interpersonal skills to motivate and instruct patients on methods to prevent oral disease and to maintain oral health. (More from RIDA)Learn More