Collecting Student Taxpayer Identification Numbers
For Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Purposes:
- An eligible educational institution, such as the Community College of Rhode Island, must get your correct tax identifying number to file information returns with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. For students, this will be your social security number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).
- The returns CCRI must file contain information about qualified tuition and related expenses (Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement). For more information, see Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Education. The information about your tuition will help to determine whether you, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may take either the tuition and fees deduction or claim an education credit to reduce federal income tax. The information about your student loan interest will help to determine your deduction for such interest.
- Section 6109 of the federal Internal Revenue Code (Title 26) requires students to give their correct SSN or ITIN to persons (in this case CCRI) who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. Failure to provide your correct tax identifying number could result in a penalty from the IRS.
For institutional Purposes:
- For use in processing admission applications for purposes of identification and verification of student records.
- For use in administering federal and state financial aid programs/loans, including verification of eligibility. These include programs such as Financial Aid, other related loan programs, and scholarship programs.
- For use in complying with IRS Reporting Requirements pertaining to the Hope Scholarship Credit and the Lifetime Learning Credit provided under federal legislation.
- For enrollment verification and eligibility for health insurance coverage, and other benefits, as requested by students.
- For submitting reports to federal and state agencies as required.
*NOTE: All students are advised that social security numbers are confidential and may only be released in accordance with applicable law. (FTC, FERPA).
Community College of Rhode Island uses form W-9S, Request for Student's or Borrower's Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification to request and collect student taxpayer identification numbers. This Form allows students to provide their correct taxpayer identification number to an educational institution or to a lender of a student loan. This Form can also certify the use of the funds for qualified higher education expenses. To download this form or for more information regarding this IRS form, please visit: http://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-W9S
Please note: Completed forms must either be mailed to the Bursar's Office or hand delivered (Do not email SSN or ITIN numbers).
CCRI Bursar's Office
400 East Ave, Warwick RI 02886