IMPORTANT MESSAGE for Health Science Program Students
I understand that a completed COVID series plus booster dose and influenza vaccination is required prior to final acceptance into a health science program.
A phlebotomist is an important member of the healthcare team. Phlebotomists obtain blood specimens by venipuncture and skin puncture. Phlebotomists work closely with patients and other healthcare professionals. Phlebotomists are trained to perform ECGs, point of care testing, medical coding, computer information tasks, and specimen processing. Liston Campus only.
This program seeks to prepare entry-level phlebotomists who demonstrate acceptable workplace behaviors and who are eligible to sit for the national certification examination.
**IMPORTANT MESSAGE from the CCRI Phlebotomy Program
If you are planning to apply during the February 2022 application period, a completed COVID series and current Influenza vaccination is required for all health science students.
Students completing the phlebotomy certificate will:
- Practice accepted standards for infection control and safety as mandated by OSHA and CLSI.
- Apply understanding of the importance of specimen collection and specimen integrity in the delivery of patient care.
- Perform venipunctures proficiently following CLSI standards.
- Perform capillary puncture following CLSI standards.
- Perform EKG proficiently.
- Perform specimen transport and processing according to CLSI standards.
- Apply appropriate quality assurance and quality control to waived laboratory testing according to CLIA regulations.
- Follow manufacturer's directions for CLIA waived tests.
- Communicate and interact appropriately with patients, staff and coworkers.
- Use computers in the workplace.
- Discuss policies and protocol designed to maintain confidentiality and to avoid medico-legal problems.
- Apply ICD-CM codes to clinical laboratory testing.
Program & Course Descriptions
This is a part-time, two-semester certificate program which is offered starting:
Fall semester at
Liston (Providence) campus Evening program
Fall and Spring semesters at
Liston (Providence) campus Day program
FROM THE CATALOG:
- General Policies for Health Sciences
- Program of Study Information
- Course Descriptions - for online versions, see Available Courses