Medical Laboratory Technology
Associate degree clinical laboratory technicians/medical laboratory technicians perform all the routine tests in an up-to-date medical laboratory and can demonstrate discrimination between closely similar items and correction of errors by the use of preset strategies. The technician has knowledge of specific techniques and instruments and is able to recognize factors that directly affect procedures and results. The technician also monitors quality assurance procedures.
The Mission of the Medical Laboratory Program is to prepare students with entry-level knowledge, application and problem-solving skills to competently and safely perform a variety of laboratory procedures and function as an active member of the healthcare team.
Please note: The next application period for this program will be during the month of July, 2020.
Graduates of the Medical Laboratory Technology Program will:
- be skilled in current laboratory practices as entry-level practitioners.
- demonstrate the ability to think critically and solve problems in a laboratory setting.
- demonstrate the ability to communicate verbally and in writing.
- act as ethical and responsible members of the health care team.
Graduates of the program are:
- eligible for employment in a hospital, public or private health laboratory, health care clinic, veterinary office, research lab, crime lab, or pharmaceutical lab, performing a wide variety of blood, chemical, microbiological, immunological, and other clinical laboratory tests.
- eligible to transfer for a Bachelor's Degree program.
- eligible to become licensed to practice in the State of Rhode Island.
Upon successful completion of this program, the student receives an Associate in Applied Science (AAS) degree and is eligible to sit for the national certification examination for Medical Laboratory Technology (MLT) given by recognized agencies.
NAACLS - National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
5600 N. River Rd., Suite 720
Rosemont, IL 60018
Tel: (773) 714-8880
- Occupational Outlook
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science
- American Society for Clinical Pathology
- Clinical Laboratory Technology accreditation
- Technical Standards