Web Site Content Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
- Am I eligible for Prior Learning Assessment?
- What if I have credits from another college or university?
- How many credits can I earn and apply to degree requirements at CCRI?
- Are these credits transferable?
- What are the fees?
- How do I begin the process?
You must be accepted into a degree program and be currently registered for courses at CCRI to be eligible for credits earned through
- Departmental Challenge Exams,
- Corporate Sponsored Learning,
- MilitaryTraining & Experiences, and
- Prior Learning Assessment Petition.
If you have credits from other accredited colleges and universities, these credits may be transferable to your CCRI transcript. You will be required to have "official" transcripts forwarded to the Office of Enrollment Services. Credits from other institutions are subject to the CCRI's transfer of credit policy.
The number of credits you may receive from sources external to the Community College of Rhode Island is limited to half the number of credits for your degree program. In most cases, 30 is the maximum number of credits you may earn through the use of CLEP Tests, CCRI Challenge Exams, Sponsored Learning, Military Training & Experience and the PLA Petition process.
Active Duty Military Personnel are exempt. CCRI as a Service-Members Opportunity College requires that active duty military complete 25% of their program at the college.
The American Council on Education's credit recommendations are recognized nationally. Over 1800 colleges and universities accept ACE's recommendation. Therefore, in most instances institutions will recognize these credits awarded by other institutions. Degree requirements differ from institution to institution, and how these credits are applied may differ.
The Rhode Island Board of Governors for Higher Education (RIBGHE) has developed a list of course equivalencies for the purposes of transfer among Rhode Island institutions.
If you are planning to transfer to another institution, it is recommended that you review that institution's degree requirements and transfer of credit policies .
Fees vary depending on the option you choose.
- For College Level Examination Program (CLEP) Tests, see the Advising & Counseling website
- Corporate Sponsored Learning, Standardized Credit Awards, including Armed Services experiences will be assessed a flat fee of $25 to transcript credits.
- Department Challenge Examinations are $10 per credit.
- Credits earned through the Petition process are $10 per credit.
- Credits transferred from another accredited educational institution are subject to CCRI's transfer of credit policy.
The Community College will only post credits that can be used toward the completion of the degree program in which you are matriculated.
Dean of Business, Science & Technology
Community College of Rhode Island
400 East Avenue
Warwick, RI 02886-1807
Upon an initial review of your application, you will be contacted.
†MS Word documents require MS Word to view or print
This page developed and maintained by Prior Learning Assessment. Send comments and suggestions to .