Practical Nursing Program Competencies/Student Learning Outcomes
Guided by professional values and standards within a framework of the nursing process,
graduates of the CCRI Practical Nursing Program demonstrate the following competencies:
- Identify basic needs of patients in all age groups.
- Collect data relevant to patients’ health status by conducting focused assessments.
- Identify developmental, emotional, cultural, spiritual and environmental influences
on patients’ health status.
- Relate the patient’s response to actual or potential health problems.
- Collaborate with registered nurses in establishing nursing diagnoses.
PLANNING AND COLLABORATION:
- Prioritize patient care based on Maslow’s hierarchy of needs.
- Participate in the development of the nursing care plan.
- Contribute to the development of patient outcomes.
- Assist in the modification of the nursing care plan to meet the changing needs of
- Collaborate with health care professionals to meet the basic needs of patients.
- Provide evidence-based, clinically competent care within accepted standards of practical
nursing practice in a variety of settings.
- Communicate patient’s response to nursing interventions and changes in health status.
- Utilize therapeutic communication skills in patient/family interactions.
- Demonstrate caring and respectful behavior in providing nursing care.
- Participate in the health teaching of individual patients and their family.
- Participate in the evaluation of patient responses to interventions.
- Identify the need for revision of the nursing care plan.
- Identify own strengths and weaknesses.
- Seek assistance for improvement of performance.
- Recognize the practical nurse’s role in the health delivery system.
- Articulate the practical nurse’s role with those of other health care team members.
- Assume responsibility for own nursing practice within an ethical and legal framework.
- Serve as a patient advocate.
- Accept role in maintaining standards of practice in providing patient care.
- Appreciate the value of membership in a professional organization.
- Seek further growth through educational opportunities.
REVISED: 06/09/03 (rac)