Contact InformationMain office:
3rd Floor, main building
Meet the department:
The CCRI Department of Marketing and Communications is the hub for all internal and external college communications. If you have news you want people to know about, let us know!
Web Content manager
Search the News and Events site:
CCRI to host high schools at hands-on tech event
April 4, 2014
About 150 high school students from 10 schools will visit the Community College of Rhode Island to learn about the exciting future an education in technology can offer through hands-on workshops about computer networking, biotechnology, chemical technology, emergency management, engineering, nursing, computer studies and more.
CCRI's annual Technology Open House will be held from 8:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, April 11, at the Knight Campus, 400 East Ave., Warwick. Students will learn about careers in the sciences, technology and the health fields; meet CCRI instructors; and participate in their choice of three of the following hands-on labs:
- Mystery of the Crooked Cell: Use DNA fingerprinting to unravel the mystery.
- Slime and Nylon: Make both in seconds and find out what elements they have in common.
- Make it in 3-D – Discover how 3-D printers work and what you can do with them.
- Photoshop: Fast Fixes and Mass Deception – Learn a little photo magic and find out why you should not trust the images that you see every day.
- Program a Raspberry Pi – Learn to connect and program this hot new $35 computer.
- The 411 on Fire Science – Find out how to jump-start your career in fire service. Meet the Man of Steel – Come learn how to make something out of steel.
- Code Blue! – Our SimMan is sick. Come diagnose and help treat our patient simulator.
- Engineering Eggs: Participate in a package design competition to protect an egg from a 10-foot drop.
- Going Green: Learn about energy with our "green" model house.
Three lab sessions will be held: 9:40 to10:20 a.m.; 10:30 to 11:10 a.m.; and 11:20 a.m. to noon.
Students from the following schools have registered to participate:
- Academy of Career Exploration in Providence
- Burrillville High School
- Chariho Career and Technical Center
- Cranston High School West
- Davies Career and Technical High School in Lincoln
- Health Science and Technology Academy in Providence
- Newport Career and Technical Center
- North Providence High School
- North Smithfield High School
- Pilgrim High School in Warwick
- Shea Senior High School in Pawtucket
- Warwick Career and Technical Center
blog comments powered by Disqus