- What is a pop-up blocker?
- What is a firewall?
- Do pop-up blockers affect MyCCRI?
- How to disable Pop-up Killers?
- Troubleshooting viewing pop-up windows
- I am at my place of employment and I can't access the For Students and My Info tabs, what is wrong?
- Disable Norton Internet Security Pop-up Block and Firewall
- Disable McAfee Internet Security Suite Pop-up Blocker and Firewall
- Adjust Firewall and Security Settings
Any program that is designed to prevent "pop-up" ads from appearing while you browse the internet can cause problems in MyCCRI and Blackboard. The reason for this is that many of these "pop-up" ads use the web programming language Java. Unfortunately, several of the features in MyCCRI and Blackboard use Java as well. Therefore, if you have one of these programs installed you will have difficulty using the features in MyCCRI and Blackboard disable or uninstall pop-up killers or ad-blockers:
Pop-up killing or ad-blocking functions are included in some anti-virus, internet security, personal firewall, and browser programs. Disable the relevant setting in the program. Examples include:
- Yahoo! Companion toolbar
- Norton Internet Security
- Netscape Navigator
- Google Toolbar
- Opera Web browser
- Mozilla web browser
A firewall, is your primary line of defense against hackers, automatically locking out intruders and protecting your identity and data while you're on the Internet.
MyCCRI uses pop-up windows. If you are having difficulty accessing MyCCRI e-mail or the calendar pop-up blockers may be the problem. Pop-up blockers should be set to allow pop-ups from MyCCRI. Common locations for pop-up blockers include: Windows with SP2, ISPs such as AOL, MSN and Earthlink, search toolbars such as Yahoo Companion, WebSearch and Google, and certain browsers such Netscape, as well as Norton Internet Security and McAfee Security Suite software.
These applications work in the background while you browse the internet. When they detect a pop-up window that may be an unwanted advertisement, they automatically close the window. Unfortunately, they also inhibit MyCCRI from performing properly. If you are unable to view Discussion postings, Quiz windows, and download links, then search your hard drive for any software with "pop-up" in the name and disable it.
Some popular pop-up killers include:
- Pop-Up Stopper
- Pop-Up Defender
- Pop-Up Zapper
If you are not sure if you have pop-up blocker software installed, go to http://download.cnet.com/s/popup-killer.
Another site that can help you recognize some of the current pop-up blockers if they exist on your computer and tell you where it is: http://www.ehow.com/how_6570801_pop_up-blockers-computer.html
If a pop-up blocker software is installed, you must let it know that MyCCRI is safe and that the windows can pop-up.
If you still cannot view certain MyCCRI windows, turn the pop-up software off.
If you are still having problems, uninstall the pop-up blocker software.
You are more than likely behind a firewall and ports 9000 or 9443 may be blocked. We suggest that you contact your company's IT department to determine if this is the case and ask if the port(s) can be unblocked.
Norton Internet Security is a set of security tools that helps keep you safe online as you surf and email, swap files, download programs, and chat. If you are experiencing a problem with MyCCRI and/or email you will need to follow the troubleshooting steps outlined below:
- Open up the Norton Internet Security program.
- In the new window that opens, click on the Norton AntiSpam button located in the left-hand panel.
- Select Pop-up Blocking from the resulting menu.
- Several new options should appear along the right-hand side of the window. Click Turn Off.
- You may also want to turn off the Ad Blocking feature of the AntiSpam component. Just like the previous step, select Ad Blocking and then click Turn Off.
McAfee has a feature that allows the user to hold down the CTRL key while clicking the refresh button which will allow the popup to load.
- Open McAfee Internet Security
- Point to McAfee Pop-Up Blocker
- Deselect Enable Pop-up Blocker
The pop-up blocker in use by most McAfee programs can be bypassed by holding down the CTRL key and clicking on the link of the window you would like to pop-up.
Disable McAfee Personal Firewall
- Right click on the McAfee icon in the taskbar
- Once the McAfee Security Center window opens, click on Configure on the left side of the screen. If you do not see this option, click Advanced Menu at the bottom left to bring up the advanced Options.
- Click on the Internet and Network tab.
- Click the button labeled Disable Firewall.