Procedure For Requesting An Accommodation
The Community College of Rhode Island is committed to providing reasonable accommodations
to its employees, if necessary, in order to perform the essential functions of their
To request a reasonable accommodation:
- The employee notifies the Department of Institutional Equity and Human Resources of his or her disability.
- After notification, the Office of Human Resources will provide the employee with a
copy of his/her job description, the Disability Verification Form-Health Provider Statement (to be completed by the healthcare provider in order to declare a disability) and
the Reasonable Accommodation Request Form to be completed by the employee.
- The completed Reasonable Accommodation Request Form, Disability Verification Form/Health
Provider Statement, job description and essential functions are reviewed by the Director
of Human Resources or designee. The Director of Human Resources, or designee, will
meet with the appropriate campus officials, if necessary, to discuss the accommodation
- Once a decision is reached regarding the accommodations request, a letter of notification
is sent from the Director Human Resources, or designee, to the employee to be signed
by the employee and returned to the Office of Human Resources for official record.
- In compliance with applicable laws and regulations, all documents pertaining to a
disability request are placed in a confidential file and may be opened only by the
employee or an appropriate Human Resources representative on an “as needed” basis.
Should the employee requesting an accommodation disagree with the decision reached
by the Director of Human Resources, or designee, an appeal may be filed by the employee
with the Associate Vice President for Equity and Human Resources and Title IX Coordinator.