Rhode Island Lifeguard Training
PHED 1440 – Lifeguard Training – Blended Learning (Red Cross)
Course Description from catalog
What you will earn if successful:
- American Red Cross Lifeguarding Certificate (CPR, AED, First Aid, Lifeguarding Skills)
To work at a RI State Pond, Lake, or Beach
- You must take an additional skills test (click here to be directed)
- You must bring your Lifeguard Certificate to this test and a license.
To view the Lifeguard Course Offerings
- Go to Available Courses
- Click “Search by subject, day, time and site”
- Select Term
- Lifeguard Course is listed under “Physical Education(PHED)”
- Campus should be “Flanagan”
- Click “Class Search”
Textbook for this class is available for free online: Lifeguard Training
Class Times: (Each course listed is a separate and complete course all 2-Credits)
TO REGISTER FOR THE LIFEGUARD COURSE:
- Registration for all courses takes place at the CCRI Admissions office.
- If you have taken credit courses at CCRI prior, you can login to your MyCCRI Account
- If you have never taken classes at CCRI prior, you must apply and register in person.
- If you are a high school student you will need the High School Enrichment and Application Form
- The Blended Learning Lifeguard Course includes on online portion. You will receive
an email for the online registration portion of the course. Please be sure you have
an active email on your CCRI account. All correspondence will be sent to your MyCCRI
email that ends in firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fees: Link to College fees
Kevin S. Salisbury
Office: Athletic Fieldhouse, Flanagan Campus
Contact for Questions: email@example.com
Office Hours: By appointment (usually in office 45 minutes prior to class)
Prerequisites: (administered during first hour of class)
- Must be 15 Years old.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using crawl stroke and breaststroke.
Participants must use rotary breathing in the crawl stroke.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive
7-10 feet, retrieve 10-pound object, return to surface, swim 20 yards back with your
face out of the water to the starting point with the object and exit the water without
using ladders or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds. You must have two hands on the brick at all times.
- Tread water for 2 minutes with legs only. (Hands must remain in both armpits)
- These skills must be met in order to remain in the course.
Students should also refer to the following web page for a complete description of
Classroom/Conduct rules and regulations. You are expected to know them and abide by
Violation of any of these rules (including those in the Student Disciplinary Code)
may result in discipline that could include expulsion from this course.
Students with Special Needs
Any student with a documented disability may arrange reasonable accommodations. As
part of this process, students are encouraged to contact the office of Disability Services for Students as early in the semester as possible.
LIFEGUARDS INTERESTED IN RI STATE LIFEGUARD POSITIONS AT BEACHES, PONDS, AND LAKES
If a participant passes this course and wishes to work at a RI State Beach, Pond,
or Lake, they must take a separate test that is administered by the State of Rhode Island. You must bring your certifications
that you receive from this Lifeguarding Course to the State test. If you are under
the age of 18 a parent or guardian must be with you in order to take the test. The
link to the test dates are below.
United States Lifeguard Standards Coalition
Here is a list of information that may be helpful:
Here is a list of several online aquatic communities: