Caring Campus Initiative
Join the Caring Campus Initiative!
The Community College of Rhode Island (CCRI) has been selected as one of seven community colleges nationwide to participate in the “Caring Campus Initiative,” led by the Institute for Evidence-Based Change (IEBC) with funding through Ascendium Education Group (AEG).
Caring Campus is designed to use strategies backed by years of empirical research to make students feel welcome on campus. Students who feel they belong in college are more likely to complete their courses and succeed academically. CCRI faculty facilitators run a series of workshops to learn about and discuss four of the Caring Campus Commitments:
- Welcoming Students
- Learn and Use Student Names
- Design a Transparent and Inclusive Syllabus
- Get Started with Early & Often Assessment and Feedback
- Attend four workshops. Each workshop is 2 hrs. in length and will include lunch.
- Add CCRI’s Caring Campus commitments to your classes, beginning the following semester. These commitments do not involve you changing your course content or teaching; they focus on connecting with students in an intentional and meaningful way.
- Complete a pre and post workshop survey.
- Complete an implementation survey.
- August 1 & 9, 12 pm - 4 pm
Completion and Recognition:
Caring Campus can be used as part of the professional development requirement for faculty. At the end of the course, faculty who complete the course will receive a Caring Campus Digital Badge.