Strategies for Successful Online Learning
Becoming a strong online student requires tackling common challenges and choosing strategies that work for you.
Some challenges you may face include:
- It is easy to procrastinate when other demands are right in front of you.
- Your instructor needs you to reach out with questions or confusion.
- Most communication is written and not "live", so questions may take a day or so to get answered.
Steps to take to counter the challenges
- Read the entire course syllabus carefully
- Take ownership of your own learning - reach out, ask questions
- Determine methods to keep yourself on track - keep a calendar, make reminders
- Plan ahead - Check for assignment due dates and start on the assignment early enough to complete it on time despite distractions or competing priorities
- Stay on top of the work - especially reading your text as assigned
Choose from these effective study habits:
- Set aside a regular time for school work and studying
- Find a quiet place to study
- Study every day, not in one giant session - you will learn more.
- Set regular short-term study goals for yourself each week
- Plan for sufficient time for testing (including preparation).