Hospital-based Massage Therapy Training
The Clinical Oncology Alliance team is seeking licensed massage therapists who are willing to dedicate four hours a week (10-weeks), in a hospital setting to provide services to oncology patients. You don’t have to have the desire to work in a hospital to benefit from this training. Roger Williams Medical Center and Saint Anne’s accepts you as a massage therapy interns and you are officially a member of their infrastructure for a ten week period of lecture and hands on training. Most patients have short- term stays in the hospital and come back on an outpatient bases for treatments. Interns are able to get first-hand experience as to what it’s like for an individuals to go through a myriad of treatment options.
Placement in our program is competitive due to the admissions criteria and limited space. You must complete the required information below to qualify in the selection process.
Prerequisites for Admission
- Must be an active licensed massage therapist in the state of RI, CT or MA. Applicants must provide documented proof.
- A minimum of 8 hours of continuing education. A certificate or proof of completion in courses related to the following topics (subject matter recommended NCBTMB or an approved provider). The below is an example of courses acceptable for the training program. This is not an exhausted list as some schools have added oncology curriculum content as part of their on-going education.
- Caring for Clients with Cancer – Tracy Walton Oncology Massage 4 day Intensive (32 hours)
- Massage in Cancer Care - Webinar Series with Tracy Walton (9 hours)
- More About Cancer Care and Massage - Webinar Series with Tracy Walton (9 hours)
- Lymphedema and What Massage Therapists Should Know – RIAMTA (2 hours)
- Society for Oncology Massage Training
- Therapeutic Massage Associate Degree students from the Community College of Rhode Island automatically meet the eligibility criteria to apply. (Note: All CCRI applicants must provide required information to qualify in the selection process). http://www.ccri.edu/massagetherapy/
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Individual Medical Insurance
The following 5 items MUST be submitted along with your application:
- A copy of your active massage therapist license from the state of RI, CT, MA or other states.
- A copy of your current professional liability insurance
- A copy of your current personal health insurance
- A 300-500 word essay as to why you want to enter this program
- Current resume
The following MUST be submitted BEFORE or at your scheduled interview:
- 3 letters of character references from members of the community (not from family members)
- Proof of a minimum of 8 hours of Continuing Education
- 2 years of massage therapy experience with clients (recommended, not required)
- Must commit to the program's Massage Therapists Code of Ethics
- Hospital Health Requirements (Must be sent directly to CWCE, using the provided form) see contact below.
- BCI (Must be sent directly to CWCE)
You will be contacted regarding an interview around the date of the application deadline.