Leadership Training for Rhode Island's Holistic & Integrative Caregivers
Gain and grow the confidence, clarity, and leadership skills to help shape the future of holistic and integrative healthcare in Rhode Island.
In this selective and intensive 40 hour, eight-week training, we will gather with other caregivers from diverse backgrounds for meetings with experts from academia, hospital-based care, medical research, social entrepreneurship, and public health. We will engage with these experts on how to make holistic and integrative healthcare more widespread, accessible and influential in the Ocean State.
You will complete this course with a stronger voice for advocating for holistic care; a health and wellness care vision to communicate to state leadership and the public; and the tools, support, and community to help you succeed.
Last year's inaugural leadership Class of 2014 enjoyed talented presenters from Brigham and Women's Hospital, Dorcas International Institute of RI, Farm Fresh RI, the Green and Healthy Homes Initiative, Farmacy Herbs, the Rhode Island Department of Health, the Rhode Island Health Center Association, URI, Warren Alpert Medical School at Brown University, and other institutions. We expect just as talented, informative, and inspirational a line-up of presentations, workshops, and panels this year!
"Functioning as a massage therapist, I only get to see so much of the big picture of healthcare. This course allowed me to hear perspectives and understand concepts in a way that was life changing." –Rachael Musch, licensed massage therapist and health coach
Partner Organizations supporting this training include: CCRI Center for Workforce and Community Education, Rhode Island Association of Naturopathic Physicians, Rhode Island Holistic Healing Association, Breathing Time Yoga, Reflexology Association of Rhode Island, People's Organization of Community Acupuncture, and Rhode Island Natural Awakenings Magazine.
Topics will include
- Effective communication: speaking our truth
- Conflict resolution and getting to yes
- Growing our cultural competency, workforce diversity and accessibility
- Advocating confidently for your profession
- How to mainstream holistic and integrative healthcare
- Developing an empowering vision for holistic and integrative healthcare in Rhode Island
- Implementing hospital-based integrative programs
- Holistic healthcare and social enterprise
- Research literacy and research partnerships
- Influencing Rhode Island healthcare legislation
Course Dates and Locations
- Two full-day retreats to be held from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday September 20, 2015 and on Sunday November 15, 2015, both at CCRI's Knight Campus, Warwick.
- Eight evening classes to be held Thursdays, 6:00 to 9:00 p.m., from September 24, 2015 to November 12, 2015, at CCRI's Downcity Campus at the Shepard Building (URI Feinstein Campus), 80 Washington St., Providence.
- Two optional one-hour site visits will be held during the course at a time to be determined by course attendees.
Fees and Deadlines
$470 + $5 registration fee (Applicants not selected will be fully refunded minus the $5 application fee.)
Registration Deadline: August 14, 2015
Applicants selected by: August 20, 2015
Program begins on September 20, 2015
Last year's leadership class established a need-based scholarship fund that will enable two applicants to take this course for $175 each. To apply for this scholarship, mail in a partial course registration payment of $175 and include a letter explaining your circumstances.
How to Apply
- To be eligible to apply for this course, you must be a trained caregiver and live, work, or practice in Rhode Island. We welcome caregivers from all backgrounds: massage therapists, acupuncturists, chiropractors, yoga teachers, health coaches, medical doctors, nurses, holistic counselors, naturopathic doctors, midwives, doulas, reiki practitioners, herbalists, spiritual healers, reflexologists, and others.
- Fill in in the course registration form. Note: on the form, this course's CRN# is 60336, and the Course # is PSEM-3100-001.
- Mail your application to: CCRI, Center for Workforce & Community Education, 1762 Louisquisset Pike, Lincoln, RI 02865-4585. Please enclose with your application: a) course registration payment of $475; b) a copy of your c.v.; c) a 300-500 word essay outlining your present leadership skills and why you wish to take this training. Please note: we will confirm your application in early August.
For more information: Contact course instructor Karlo Berger at Karlo@KarloBerger.com.