Community College of Rhode Island

Environmental/Safety Committee Meeting Minutes

 

Return to Environmental Health & Safety Index Page

CCRI Home


This page developed and maintained by CCRI's Environmental Health and Safety Specialist, Richard Foote. Send comments and suggestions to ccrifoote@ccri.edu  2008, Community College of Rhode Island - All rights reserved.

 

November 30, 2004       

 

TO:                 Bill Mercer, Bruno Kurowski, Kathy Twining, Manny Terezakis, Janet Anderson,

Edna O’Neill Mattson, Barbara Legg, George Sousa, Jim Ellis, Richard Robinson, Joanne Jacobs, Dennis Melander, Tracy Karasinski, Bill Ferland, Dan Farrell, Rae Horodysky, Bob Antonson

 

FROM:            Stephen F. Marginson, Dean of Administration

RE:                  Environmental/Safety Committee Meeting Minutes

DATE:             December 1, 2004

 

Meeting called to order at 9:00 a.m. on November 30, 2004 in the Flanagan Campus

Attendees Present:  Stephen Marginson (KC), Manny Terezakis (FC), Joanne Jacobs (FC), Mary Pecchia (FC), Bill Mercer(KC), Dennis Melander(KC), Janet Anderson(KC), Bruno Kurowski(FC), Barbara Legg(KC), Jim Ellis(KC), Kathy Twining(KC), Dan Farrell(FC), Kathy Blessing(FC), Rae Horodysky(FC), Susan Warthman(FC)

 

PLEASE NOTE:  Bulleted comments require action.  Please be prepared to update the committee at the next meeting or by date listed where applicable.  Thanks.

Dean Marginson opened the meeting by noting that there were a few guests in attendance.  Rae Horodysky, Kathy Blessing and Susan Warthman are from the LRC at the Flanagan Campus.  The guests at the meeting were there to discuss the spraying of insecticide that occurred in the LRC on November 16, 2004.  This application of insecticide was done after a discovery of cockroaches in that area. 

The Dean made it clear that the spraying should not have been done.  After a discussion of the causes of the pests, such as the consumption of food at the circulation desk as well as various places throughout the library, it was noted that it will be made clear to all students and staff of the LRC that they should not be eating or storing food outside of the upstairs kitchen/pantry area. 

 

Rae Horodysky asked whether there is anything to be concerned about with regards to the side effects of the insecticide that was sprayed.  Manny Terezakis has emailed the company that manufactured the insecticide that was used.  He will get back to the LRC with the details on what, if any, adverse affects the residue which is left behind in the air and on the furniture will have. 

Kathy Blessing wondered if washing down the desks, etc. may be helpful to remove some of the residue.  Steve agreed. 

 

NOTE:  As of this writing Dan Farrell has let this committee know that the desks, tables and counters of the LRC have been washed down. 

 

A suggestion was made by Kathy that a letter be sent as a “Notification of insecticide spraying” when any sort of spraying is necessary throughout any of the college facilities.  This notice should warn of the application process, what is contained in the spray itself and procedures to be followed after the spray is applied.

Steve will have the Physical Plant Department of each facility notify any area to be affected if spraying occurs in the future.

 

The meeting continued with discussion of the action items from the April, 2004 meeting. 

 

JoAnn Jacobs said the “Great American Smoke out” was held on each campus November 18, 2004 and was a success.  The event was widely covered by the media and surveys were done which JoAnn will compile and use to produce an informal report to this committee as soon as possible.   

 

JoAnn made mention of the numerous ashtrays located all over the Liston Campus and the lack of proper signage to direct smokers to the smoking hut outside.  Evidently, the hut is located close to what “used to be” the old entrance to the campus. 

 

Due to the recent Breast Cancer cluster in the Enrollment Services area of the Flanagan Campus, Bob Vanderslice of the RI Department of Health suggested testing every room in that area.  Steve asked Manny about the results of the recent radon test.  Manny told Steve that Radon testing is required for 10% of the rooms in the facility every three years.  An explanation of those test results follows:

 

On November 8, 2004, Budget Home Inspection Co. tested CCRI for radon as required by the Rhode Island Department of Health.  Testing was done in the main buildings, the field houses, the Warwick conference center and the president’s house.  The law requires that 10% of all areas originally tested in 1995 and all day care rooms be tested every three years.  In addition to the rooms required by law, Budget Home Inspection tested all 24 Flanagan Campus Enrollment Services rooms.

Radon levels in all 89 tested areas were substantially below the EPA action level of 4.0 pCi/L (4.0 picocuries per liter of air). In most cases, radon levels were actually below the detection limit of the equipment.  Therefore, no remediation is necessary and no further testing is needed until fall 2007. 

 

A Lead Test was done on numerous water taps and drinking fountains throughout the campus and the results are as follows:

 

On October 26, 2004, ESS Laboratory tested drinking water for the presence of lead at twelve locations in and surrounding the Flanagan Campus Enrollment Services Area.  No lead was detected in any of the water samples. The locations tested were as follows

 

Item Number

Room Number

Description of Area

Water Source Tested

 

 

 

 

 

 

1

2109

Enrollment Services Kitchenette

Sink Cold Water Tap

 

2

2152

Enrollment Services Counter Corridor

Drinking Fountain

 

3

2300

Corridor to 2710 and 2704

Drinking Fountain

 

4

2102

Mod 2 South Lobby

Drinking Fountain

 

5

3108

Staff Lounge Kitchenette

Sink Cold Water Tap

 

6

3107

Staff Lounge Lobby between toilet entrances

Drinking Fountain

 

7

3154

Vending Machine Area

Drinking Fountain

 

8

3102

Mod 3 South Lobby

Drinking Fountain

 

9

3118

Cafeteria Preparation Area Sink on East Wall

Cold Water Tap

 

10

3118

Cafeteria Preparation Area Sink on West Wall

Cold Water Tap

 

11

3156

Cafeteria Serving Area

Cold Water Dispenser

 

12

3156

Coffee Preparation Sink

Cold Water Tap

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JoAnn asked Manny about a letter dated October 19, 2004 that Bob Vanderslice sent to the college regarding certain individuals still being spotted smoking at the Knight campus on the second floor ramp.  Steve spoke about the matter and explained that he did respond to Dr. Vanderslice’s letter on October 25, 2004 and explained that “we continue to aggressively implement a policy that restricts smoking to enclosures located away from the buildings.”  In the letter Steve did list all of the action taken by CCRI to deter the “violators” but mentioned that “rather than amending the policy to allow more smoking in more places, the college community will try to maintain the aggressive policy with continuing efforts to improve enforcement.”  Copies of both letters are available through Steve’s office.  

 

JoAnn explained that as of January 2005 the Department of Health will have signage available with new wording that will need to be used in public buildings. 

Janet Anderson referred to the statement Manny made about 10% of the rooms being tested for radon every three years as being vague.  Manny explained that the radon levels in the rooms tested in the past have consistently been below the EPA level of 4.0 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) requiring the rooms to be tested only on a three year basis.   

Dennis Melander explained that in the early 1980’s the Knight Campus of CCRI was instrumental in developing a prototype for the procedures for radon testing.  As part of a two and a half year study in conjunction with the RI Department of Health, CCRI was at the forefront of this testing. 

 

An update to an action item on the last meeting minutes regarding slip and falls due to wet floors at the Knight Campus was given.  Barbara was told that two of the three incident reports that were forwarded to her by Mary were not necessarily due to wet floors that the cleaners left behind.  In fact, only one of them actually mentioned the cleaners in the report and that, along with the two most recent incidents may infer cleaner’s error.   

Two items were mentioned by the committee; to try to rework the schedule of the cleaners to be out of the area most widely used by students and faculty until they are done there, and to safeguard as best we can against these types of slip and falls using different methods.  One method mentioned by Steve was a large battery operated fan which would dry the area that was just washed as the cleaner moved along. 

 

Bruno Kurowski suggested that it may be the floor wax the cleaner is using.  He mentioned a wax with low gloss which should be less slippery.  

 

Bill said the Physical Plant gives the directive on which wax should be used by any cleaner that is working for the college.  He also said two companies were checked to compare waxes and the one we use has the lowest gloss/slipperiness.  There are three supervisors and 42 cleaners employed by the cleaning company.  Most of the employees are part time and though the sixth floor is done last in the evening, to have them hold off one or two more hours to accommodate students/faculty, puts the cleaner in the position to pay overtime for them.  In addition, Bill explained that for most of the cleaners, this job is there night job.  They work a limited amount of hours to be able to get home and sleep before going off to their day job. 

 

Steve stressed the fact that the night supervisor will be key to the success of the reworking of the schedule to accommodate students/faculty and their safety as they get around the facility after hours.    

 

Barbara Legg mentioned that the disabled person will always be at a disadvantage when wet floors are an issue.  And, Steve reiterated the fact that the night supervisor will be the key to the success of the reworked cleaning schedule.

 

Bruno mentioned a sensor mat that is made by Rubbermaid with an audio warning of “wet floor”, etc.  This battery-operated device may be useful for the visually impaired person.   

NOTE:  As of this writing, Mary has the Rubbermaid Catalog.

 

Open discussion started with Janet asking if there is anything that can be done to regulate the second floor thermostats in the accounting area of the Knight Campus.  Along with that is the electrical issue, since when people are cold and put their heaters on, fuses blow, PC’s go down, etc. 

 

The Security Department has asked Bruno to address the pothole issue on the north side road.

 

The ACI inmates are used to do projects at all campuses.  Security Department feels as though they are not always notified of them being on premise.  Bill Mercer explained that he normally advises Security Department anytime the ACI is due in the building.  There is always a concern for safety by faculty/staff and students when ACI inmates are noticed on campus.  Steve explained that the inmates are relatively safe to have in the building and it is noted that there will always be one officer to each seven ACI inmates.  Steve also said that Security must always be notified of them arriving. 

 

Bruno mentioned the cell phones used by Security and Physical Plant and that there are a lot of “dead spots” in the building which do not have cell service.  If the one Security Guard that is on Saturday leaves the office to lock or unlock doors and enters a “dead spot” there would be no way for him to be reached.  The Security Department phone can not be forwarded to the cell phone if they can not be certain that it will work throughout the campus.

 

Bruno mentioned that the safety gate between the Flanagan Campus and the Davies Vocational property does not keep out the bikers and ATV’s that it was meant to.  Dan said that both makeshift and manufactured gates have been installed and they are still not foolproof.  

 

Evidently, there are a few faculty/staff members that are found in the building in the early hours of the morning on weekends.  Steve wanted to know if there were names available of these people, but there are not.  He also mentioned the fact that faculty have the right to be in the building since they could be working either by themselves or could be tutoring a student. 

 

Bruno said that last year a program was started to educate people about storage in areas that have electrical boxes, etc. in them (mainly athletics)

 

Steve thought George had been looking into this matter.

Bruno questioned whether CCRI was obligated to offer a vaccine booster of the Hepatitis B shot for employees that come in contact with blood borne pathogens.

 

NOTE:  As of this writing, Manny spoke with Jim Gamelin of the RIDOH and clarified the issue of Hepatitis B Booster shots.  Jim told Manny that OSHA, following the protocol of the Centers for Disease control (CDC) has never endorsed or recommended that Hepatitis B booster shots be given after the regular series of three shots. 

Bruno wondered whether CPR Courses could be offered to at least those in Physical Plant in the case of an emergency since there is no nurse on staff at the college.

 

Jim Ellis said that the Security Department offers re-certification in CPR for that department every two years. 

 

Manny Terezakis reported on issues in the Biology labs and classrooms at the Knight Campus as well as in the Enrollment Services area of the Flanagan Campus.  The issue raised was whether sufficient air floor is achieved in those areas.  Below are the tables of information gathered during the tests which show levels at acceptable air flow with regards to the health and safety of those working in those areas:

NOTE:  Any questions regarding the information below may be directed to Dennis Melander

 

BALANCING OF THE BIOLOGY LABS KNIGHT CAMPUS

 

 

 

 

 

LAB ROOM NUMBERS

MIN AIR FLOW

DESIGN AIR FLOW

ACTUAL AIR FLOW

TO BE ADJUSTED TO

 

FOR OCCUPANTS

CFM

CFM

APPROX. CFM

 

CFM

 

 

 

3018

1000

1850

2571

2100

3026

1000

1850

3778

2100

3028

1000

1850

4489

2100

3034

1000

2200

2533

2500

3040

1000

2200

2709

2500

 

BALANCING OF MOD 2 SOUTH FIRST FLOOR FLANAGAN  CAMPUS

 

 

 

 

 

 ROOM NUMBERS

VAV NUMBER

MIN AIR FLOW

DESIGN AIR FLOW

ACTUAL AIR FLOW

 

(variable Air Volume)

FOR OCCUPANTS

CFM

CFM

 

 

CFM

 

 

2154 SOUTH

VAV-140

780

892

871

2106, 07,08

VAV-141

780

955

852

2110

VAV-142

260

765

767

2112, 14

VAV-143

520

644

634

2155, 76, 77

VAV-144

780

1055

1057

2154N,62, 58, 60

VAV-145

1040

1055

1055

2128, 30, 32

VAV-146

780

945

945

2126, 27

VAV-147

520

765

788

2124, 22

VAV-148

520

644

629

2120, 18, 16

VAV149

780

966

1017

Janet suggested adding an additional meeting to the Environmental Committee Meeting schedule each year for a total of at least three per year rather than two.

Steve agreed and will let the committee know when the next meeting will be scheduled. 

Meeting was adjourned at 10:20a.m.