Strange behavior may be a possible sign of a virus, such behavior maybe caused by software bugs, user errors, or hardware failures. The only way to be sure a virus is present is to run virus scanning software. However, here are some likely signs of a virus:
- The computer runs slower than usual.
- The computer stops responding, or it locks up frequently.
- The computer crashes, and then it restarts every few minutes.
- The computer restarts on its own. Additionally, the computer does not run as usual.
- Applications on the computer do not work correctly.
- Disks or disk drives are inaccessible.
- You cannot print items correctly.
- You see unusual error messages.
- You see distorted menus and dialog boxes.
- There is a double extension on an attachment that you recently opened, such as a .jpg, .vbs, .gif, or .exe. extension.
- An antivirus program is disabled for no reason. Additionally, the antivirus program cannot be restarted.
- An antivirus program cannot be installed on the computer, or the antivirus program will not run.
- New icons appear on the desktop that you did not put there, or the icons are not associated with any recently installed programs.
- Strange sounds or music plays from the speakers unexpectedly.
- A program disappears from the computer even though you did not intentionally remove the program.
- Changes in the file date or time stamp
If you notice any of these symptoms and suspect that your PC might be infected with a virus, please run the Sophos Anti Virus program to clean the viruses. If the Sophos program doesn’t clean the viruses then call the Service Desk at x1112 to report the problem.
This page developed and maintained by Information Technology. Send comments and suggestions to .