WIND POWER READING ASSIGNMENT-3
Open the Website
Read sections Generators and Turbine Design?
of the “Guide Tour on Wind Energy”.
Using Microsoft Word, type the answers to the topic
questions. Note, the answer to each question can be found one sub-topic section.
- Why are wind turbines different than non-wind
- Why are permanent magnet synchronous generators not
used very much?
- What is meant by synchronous speed and does that apply
to induction generators?
- When a turbine is connected to the grid, what is the
benefit of doubling the number of stator magnets?
- What is generator slip?
- What is one of the most important reasons for using an
asynchronous generator rather than a synchronous generator on a wind turbine
which is directly connected to the electrical grid?
- What are the benefits of running a dual generator
- What solutions are available for induction generators
to ovoid slip rings, brushes and external resistors?
- What are the advantages of an indirect grid connection
and a variable speed generator?
- What the advantages of using a gear box for a wind
- What do the electronic controllers of a wind turbine
- What monitors the power quality?
- Why are modern wind turbines not built with a lot of
rotor blades, like the old "American" windmills you have seen in the Western
- What must turbine manufacturers have to certify over
- What are the advantages of a VAWT?
- What are the disadvantages of a VAWT?
- What are advantages of a upwind machine?
- What are advantages of a downwind machine?
- What is the disadvantage of an even number blade
- What determines the ideal wind turbine design?
- What contributes to wind turbine noise?
- What is the fifth power law?