Related LinksStudent Learning Outcomes
Dental Hygiene Program
Program Goals and Competencies
Goal #1: Prepare graduates to assume responsibility for ethical dental hygiene care in accordance with professional codes of ethics and state law.
- Assume responsibility to provide dental hygiene treatment according to the current accepted standard of care.
- Accept and apply a professional code of ethics at all times.
- Adhere to state and federal laws, recommendations and regulations in the provision of dental hygiene care.
- Accept and promote non-discrimination.
- Develop a sense of self as a member of a professional community who values lifelong learning.
Goal #2 : Prepare competent, caring hygienists to provide comprehensive dental hygiene services to the local community.
- Control pain and anxiety during treatment through the use of accepted clinical and behavioral techniques.
- Prevent and manage medical emergencies.
- Utilize methods to ensure the health and safety of the patient/client and the dental hygienist in the delivery of dental hygiene care.
- Provide specialized preventive and therapeutic treatment to assist the patient/client in achieving and maintaining oral health.
EVIDENCE BASED DECISION MAKING
Goal #3 : Prepare graduates to make evidence based decisions by acquiring, analyzing and documenting information utilizing current scientific research.
- Assume responsibility for dental hygiene actions and care based on accepted scientific theories and research.
- Communicate effectively with individuals and groups.
- Accurately and completely document patient/client conditions and care provided.
- Utilize critical thinking to solve problems.
- Systematically collect, record, organize and summarize data on the medical, dental and social status of individuals and groups.
- Analyze individual and group data. Develop a dental hygiene diagnosis or community profile.
- Collaborate with the patient and other health care professionals.
- Use current scientific evidence to formulate a patient-centered comprehensive dental hygiene care plan.
Goal #4 : Develop dental hygienists who are able to assess the quality of patient services they provide.
- Include self-assessment in personal and professional growth and in the quality of care provided.
- Modify care as needed to meet the needs of the individual patient/client.
- Assure a high quality of patient/client care, through the use of various methods and techniques.
- Utilize evaluation data and treatment outcomes to adapt or modify treatment.
Goal #5 : Promote oral health within the community
- Promote the values of, and develop strategies to achieve, optimum health for self and others.
- Seek to achieve patient/client and community wellness through collaboration with other agencies and health professionals.