Hospital-based Massage Therapy Training II
This course is designed as a level II training for licensed massage therapists who
have successfully completed level I.
Enhance your clinical skills by working with individuals in a hospital-based environment.
Develop a better understanding of the scope of the intrinsic factors involved with
this population by working directly with patients receiving chemotherapy, radiation
and hospital stay following treatment or surgery and other health care conditions.
Learn integrative massage skills with protocols specific to pressure adjustments,
sites to avoid and client positioning. Aspects of physiological changes during the
massage treatment will be outlined in steps so therapists can work safely and skillfully
with this population.
- Demonstrate ability to obtain patient assignment from nursing assignment board
- Demonstrate ability to take patient report in morning staff meeting
- Demonstrate ability to work independently with assigned patient primary care nurse
- Demonstrate ability to integrate patient care plan with physical therapy and occupational
therapy for enhanced patient outcome
- Increase awareness of ongoing assessment of patient psychosocial, physical, emotional,
spiritual stages as applied to Kubler Ross
- Increase knowledge of infection control and take necessary precautions as indicated
in hospital policy
- Have an understanding of each infectious precaution
- Choose one of your patients for a case study
- Ability to understand one major cancer, and be familiar with the navigation that the
patient encounters from consultation, biopsy to chosen oncologist
- Review Tracy Walton's "Medical Conditions and Massage Therapy," chapter twelve: Blood
- Demonstrate ability at completion of shift to give report on assigned patients
All required application documentation must be returned to:
CCRI, Center for Workforce and Community Education
Attn: Stephanie Correira
1762 Louisquisset Pike
Lincoln, RI 02865
OR by fax: 401-333-7237
If you have any questions regarding the course or the application process please call
Stephanie Correira at 401-333-7282.
$145 + $5 non-refundable registration fee
Roger Williams Medical Center
825 Chalkstone Ave.
Directions to Roger Williams Medical Center
Information about the Cancer Center at Roger Williams
Program will be offered Spring 2018.
Click here for more information on how to register