Hospital-based Massage Therapy Training
Enhance Your Massage Practice and Your Clients' Lives
This course is designed for licensed massage therapists in New England
Enhance your clinical skills by working with individuals in a hospital-based environment. Develop a better understanding of the scope of the intrinsic factors involved with this population by working directly with patients receiving chemotherapy, radiation and hospital stay following treatment or surgery for cancer.
Learn integrative massage skills with protocols specific to pressure adjustments, sites to avoid and client positioning. Aspects of physiological changes during the massage treatment will be outlined in steps so therapists can work safely and skillfully with this population.
- Identify the role of the massage therapist in a clinical setting.
- Demonstrate appropriate assessment skills when treating patients.
- Identify various cancer treatment methods.
- Demonstrate the skills for charting patient care notes.
- Demonstrate appropriate gentle massage techniques of the hands, feet, back, neck and shoulders.
- Utilize standardized scales when assessing stress and pain.
- Identify patients appropriate for massage treatment.
- Describe the importance of patient positioning and critical thinking as they relate to patient care.
- Describe lymphedema protocols identified by Tracy Walton and cancer treatments by Gayle MacDonald.
- Demonstrate skills to work collaboratively with hospital staff and peers.
- Identify research by reviewing the most recent literature.
Earn 40 continuing education hours in a 10-week internship at Saint Anne's Hospital in Fall River, MA or Roger Williams Medical Center in Providence, RI.
Dates and Registration Information
$595, plus a $25 application fee
January 31, 2014 (The price will increase to $695, plus a $25 application fee after this deadline.)
Saint Anne's Hospital
795 Middle St.
Fall River, Mass.
Directions to Saint Anne's Hospital
50260 PSEM-8034-850 & 50262-PSEM-8033-850
Thursday, 8a.m.-noon Feb. 20 - Apr. 24
Roger Williams Medical Center
825 Chalkstone Ave.
Directions to Roger Williams Medical Center
50261 PSEM-8034-851 & 50262-PSEM-8033-850
Flex hours (set before course starts) March 2014
We also offer Hospital-based Massage Therapy Training II.
This page developed and maintained by CWCE. Send comments and suggestions to .