Obtaining Approval to Travel Out-of-State
- A College employee/student who decides that attendance at a particular conference/training/business session will benefit the College and proceeds to obtain verbal approval from the department chairperson or director or the Office of Student Life, as applicable.
- Once appropriate verbal approval has been granted, the traveler should complete the following forms:
- Request to Travel (TR-1) form (see instructions).
- College conference/ training fee requisition form.
- Event registration form.
- Information on Banner fund, organization, account, program, or location (FOAPL) codes is available from the Business Office- 825-2184. Banner vendor code information is available from the Purchasing Department - 825-2196. General assistance with the travel forms is available from the Controller's Office - 825-2150.
- Traveler obtains approval signature from department chairperson or director. If traveler is a faculty member then steps 4 and 5 must be completed otherwise go to step 6.
- Dean's signature is required for all faculty.
- Dean forwards completed forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition) along with a copy of the conference agenda and event registration form to the Faculty Travel Committee (FTC) for review and approval.
- The FTC forwards completed and approved forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition) along with a copy of the conference agenda and the event registration form to the Business Office and then to the appropriate Vice President for review and approval.
- Approved forms (TR-1 form and Conference fee requisition) along with a copy of the conference agenda and the event registration form are forwarded to the Controller's Office for processing a minimum of two weeks before the start date for travel.
The traveler must ensure that all documents are accurate and complete (including all required approvals). Any forms that need to be corrected will be returned to the traveler. This will delay processing.
- A copy of the approved TR-1 form is returned to traveler along with the Travel Authorization Number (TAN), assigned by the Controller's Office.
- The traveler can now make necessary travel arrangements using Short's Travel Management. The traveler should select the most economical method of travel and hotel accommodations.
- The traveler attends conference/training/business session.
- Upon returning, the traveler completes an Out-of-State Travel Reimbursement (A14A) form and attaches original receipts and the travel itinerary form to the A14A form and has the department chairperson/director approve and initial the completed form. The forms are then forwarded to the Controller's Office for processing.
- The A14A form along with all original receipts and the travel agency's travel itinerary form is sent to the Controller's Office for processing.
- Controller's office reviews all calculations and documentation for completeness and accuracy. Forms that are not completed properly are returned for corrections.
- A check for the amount due to traveler is then issued and mailed to the traveler's home of record.
This page developed and maintained by The Controller's Office. Send comments and suggestions to email@example.com