Tuition Appeals Committee
Tuition Appeals are for students who are requesting a refund, credit or balance waiver of their tuition charges due to extenuating circumstances that occurred during a given term. All grades received and recorded on the students transcripts will not be affected by this process and will remain as part of the student’s academic record.
The Tuition Appeals Committee will consider requests for adjustments to tuition charges when a student can document extenuating circumstances such as: (Please review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines )
- Student illness during the semester
- Illness of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Death of immediate family member during the semester (parent, child, spouse, sibling or grandparent)
- Military deployment
- Change in employment schedule beyond students control
- Verifiable Error of CCRI
- Other : Provide a detailed explanation of the situation and include all relevant documentation.
In all cases, the situation must have interrupted your ability to:
- Adhere to the standard drop procedures
- Attend class(es) for a substantial length of time
- Complete the semester
Examples of reasons not accepted are:
- Appealing for non-refundable registration fees
- Voluntary employment change
- Class assignments not met (see Department Chair)*
- Issues between the student and the instructor (see Department Chair)*
- Disciplinary Action
- Unaware of drop schedule
- Non attendance
- Didn’t like the course for which you registered
- Incorrect course advising recommendations provided by “other” college
- Instructor says they will take care of it. Student is responsible for changes to his/her schedule
Appeals must be received within 120 days from the end of the term in which the course was offered. Appeals older than 120 days that do not have supporting documentation showing an inability to attend will be denied.
* Please note: If your circumstance is due to an issue with the instructor, curriculum or class instruction methods, please visit with your instructor, Department Chair or the appropriate Academic Dean over your circumstance before attempting this process. Grade assignments and other academic issues are not within the scope of these procedures and are addressed in the Student Handbook.
Students should be aware that if a Tuition Appeal is submitted and they are a Financial Aid recipient, their Financial Aid may be impacted and they may potentially owe CCRI money. It is strongly suggested you meet with a Financial Aid Representative before you file a Tuition Appeal.
The committee meets twice a month on Thursday morning. Appeals must be received in the office by 2:00pm the day before in order to be heard the following morning. Appeals received after 2:00pm will be held over for the next scheduled meeting.
|January 10, 2013||July 11, 2013|
|January 24, 2013||July 25, 2013|
|February 7, 2013||August 8, 2013|
|February 21, 2013||August 22, 2013|
|March 7, 2013||September 5, 2013|
|March 21, 2013||September 19, 2013|
|April 4, 2013||October 3, 2013|
|April 18, 2013||October 17, 2013|
|Mary 2, 2013||November 7, 2013|
|May 16, 2013||November 21, 2013|
|May 30, 2013||December 5, 2013|
|June 13, 2013||December 19, 2013|
|June 27, 2013|
Students will receive a written response within a two-week period after the committee makes their final decision. Decisions will not be given over the phone.
Tuition Refund/Waiver Appeals Process
- Review the Tuition Appeal Guidelines
- Complete the Tuition Appeal Form - PDF file*
- Compose and attach an appeal letter explaining your situation, be specific, give details, state your case clearly .
- Attach the necessary documentation to support your claim.
- NOTE: Incomplete appeals will be returned
Submit all the above mentioned documents to:
Tuition Appeals Committee
Student Services, Rm 1054
Community College of Rhode Island
400 East Avenue
Warwick, RI 02886.
Fax to 401-825-1148
*The Committee cannot be responsible for appeals that are submitted on other campuses or to other departments. Appeals MUST be submitted to the above address*
This page developed and maintained by Associate VP for Student Services. Send comments and suggestions to .